11600 Beckford Avenue, Princess Anne, MD 21853
5 bedrooms 4 bathrooms
3,565 sq ft
approx 1/3 acre
The Cassius Dashiell House (King or Dougherty House) in Princess Anne was erected c1835, and offers an interesting contrast between antebellum and postbellum architectural styles common in Somerset County. This first owner, John H. King, a prominent Princess Anne merchant, bought “Lot 18” and erected the two-story, three-bay frame house using the vernacular side hall/parlor plan, trimmed in Federal style woodwork. A two-story frame kitchen was attached to the front block with a single-story hyphen, later changed to two stories. Zadock Dougherty acquired the property in 1867 and added an addition to the east gable end. This extension was trimmed with eave brackets, and the interior was fitted with Civil War era trim. Zadock then added an additional two-story section on the rear inside corner. [Maryland Historical Trust archive]
Now a large beautiful historic Victorian home with 5 large bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, the property includes a main floor en-suite studio with kitchenette. Recently renovated with all new plumbing, new electrical and panels, new main sewer line, new toilets, vanities, light fixtures, ceiling fans, upgraded kitchen with large Apron Farmhouse sink, granite countertops, stove, refrigerator, and a restored cast iron claw foot tub from 1924. This 3,565 sq ft home sits on almost 1/3 acre.
See real estate site listed below for full gallery of property photos