27067 Lawson Barnes Rd, Crisfield, MD 21817
3 bedrooms 2.5+ bath
2,144 sqft .64 acres
The Cullen House is a fine example of the regional vernacular house form popularly referred to as "big house, little house, colonnade and kitchen.”
The main two story, three-bay block has a center entrance, a diamond pane transom and flanking nine-over-six sash windows. Rows of modillion blocks highlight the front and rear cornices, a feature that was repeated at the old Nelson Homestead built at the same time and probably by the same artisan. Attached to the north end of the main house is a shorter story-and-a-half section that connects the colonnade and kitchen to the main house.
Construction of this four-part house is attributed to John Cullen, Sr., who purchased the hundred-acre plantation from the estate of Lodowick Milbourn in December of 1836. It contains a mixture of Federal and Greek Revival style elements and some original woodwork remains, including the original mantels.