27770 Crisfield Marion Road, Marion Station, MD 21838
(outskirts of Marion Station)
Built c 1820
5 bedrooms, 9 fireplaces
3,400 square feet
Four parcels totalling 467 acres make up the Pomfret Plantation. This mostly wooded nature paradise with over 3 miles of shoreline and sandy beaches was part of a land grant that Col. William Coulbourne received from Lord Baltimore in 1663 that became Pomfret Plantation.
The Federal style home was built in 1820 and offers 5 bedrooms, 9 fireplaces at over 3400 square feet of living space. "Pomfret Plantation" derives its primary significance from its architecture. This early-19th century two-story four-room plan house retains the overwhelming majority of its well-executed Federal period interior woodwork, the quality and condition of which distinguishes the house among a small collection of Federal period plantation houses in Somerset County. In addition to its well-preserved interior, the house is distinguished by its galleried porch and contemporaneous two-story frame kitchen.
The property derives additional significance from its association with the locally prominent Coulbourne family, early settlers of this section of Somerset County. The Coulbourne family and their descendants owned and primarily farmed "Pomfret" through nine continuous generations beginning with William Coulbourne in 1663, and ending with the sale of the farm in 1921.
The home is in serviceable condition for primary residence, hunting lodge or B&B. The land is a mix of timber, marsh, and sandy beaches with abundant waterfowl, deer, turkey, and upland game. It includes one mile of sandy beach on the Big Annamessex River and several saltwater creeks, ponds and impoundments.
See real estate sites listed below for full gallery of property photos