4146 Rivermere Lane, Eden, MD 21822
(Wicomico County bordering Somerset County)
Built c 1710
on National Register of Historic Places
4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms
2,888 square feet
Bounds Lott is one of the oldest surviving dwellings in the tri-county region originally laid out as Somerset County. Its first period of construction in the first half of the 18th century included a hall and parlor, originally with the stair passage in the hall. Its one gable end and chimney stack are built in Flemish bond. The rafters rest on a tilted false-plate, an early framing technique.
Around 1740 a two room addition was added to the framed gable end and was encased by its own brick wall and chimney allowing for two corner fireplaces in the new rooms. At this time a central passage staircase replaced the older stair. Elaborate Georgian woodwork was installed, including raised paneling, pilastered fireplace surrounds, and diamond-shaped overmantel panels. Arched corner cupboards were placed on either side of the original fireplace.
The exact date of construction is unknown, but likely occurred during the time of the Quaker Richard Stevens or his daughter Sarah who married James Bounds. Richard and Sarah patented Sarah’s portion of her inheritance along the Wicomico River as Bounds Lott in 1735. Their son Jonathan Bounds likely built the new addition. The home remained in the Bounds family until after the American Revolution, and fortunately has been little altered by subsequent owners.
Its restoration and maintenance have been superb with most of the original early 18th century interior intact. Modern conveniences, such as central heat and air conditioning, do little to mar the beauty of Georgian paneling and numerous fireplace mantels.
During the twentieth century, the living space was extended by incorporating structures and materials from other early houses in the vicinity, making for a seamless transition to contemporary living. Any new owners could do no better in steeping themselves in the early history of Maryland's Lower Eastern Shore.