The Waddy House, also known as the Williamson farm or the Jarvis Ballard house, is one of a small collection of mid-18th century brick houses surviving in Somerset County, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
This group of early houses represent the most expensive dwellings erected at the time and exhibit finely executed Flemish bond walls, glazed checker board pattern brickwork, and finely crafted interior paneling. Compared to the other eight houses in this group, the Waddy House is the least altered, and exhibits the fine glazed header Flemish bond wall construction and an alternating glazed brick segmental arch pattern found at the grand properties of "Almodington" and "Arlington."
The four-room first floor interior retains a significant portion of its mid-18th century woodwork with a turned baluster stair and a raised-panel overmantel in the parlor.
When the house was scheduled for demolition in 2018, the Trust was able to save it by moving it to a nearby property.
moved to Perryhawkin Road, Princess Anne MD
Delmarva Now article - How do you move a historic Somerset house down the road?
Maryland Historic Trust - National Register Waddy House S-87
The Cottman-Pinkett House is an historic property restored and rehabilitated by the Somerset County Historical Trust with the help and support of the Maryland Historical Trust and several other organizations.
Directly west of the Littleton Long House, it is a two-story, three-bay frame house built for Isaac and Priscilla Cottman around 1884-85, just two decades after the Civil War. They were able to secure a loan of $150 that enabled them to have a dwelling of their own.
Later the house was owned by the Pinketts, whose relatives still live in the area and one of their descendants the well-known celebrity Jada Pinkett Smith.
The Trust began restoration in 2006. They removed the exterior siding that had been added, uncovering the second front door. Every effort was made to restore the original fabric of the house, including the back-turned stair and much of the woodwork in the kitchen. The cabinets were designed and built by Woody Howard, a Somerset County craftsman.
The property was subsequently rented until 2019, when it was sold to a private buyer.
original location on Beckford Street, Princess Anne MD
The multi-phase restoration of the Littleton Long house in Princess Anne was an intensive project that saved this important Federal/ Greek Revival dwelling from potential demolition, and now it is a showcase of architectural restoration.
The property was purchased by the Trust in 1995 and moved in 1997 from its original location on Somerset Avenue one block onto Church Street. Extensive restoration was done, and in 2004 was sold to a private owner who continued with interior & exterior restoration, including addition of a third back section and historic landscaping including a formal parterre, extensive herb, perennial and vegetable gardens and a woodland border.
The house is of Federal/Greek Revival design from 1830, and one of the many gable-end style homes to be found in Princess Anne inspired by the Teackle Mansion. It features a transverse hall - fashionable on the Lower Eastern Shore - double parlors, restored faux-painted tiger maple and mahogany wood-grained doors and stairs, historic wallpapers, and reconstructed period hearth kitchen.
Maryland Historic Trust - National Register Littleton Long House S-24
relocated from original location on Somerset Ave
The Thomas Brittingham House was purchased by the Trust in 1994, and restored and sold to private buyers. It is located in the historic area of Princess Anne, MD.
original location on Beechwood Street, Princess Anne MD
The Teackle Mansion is the 200-year old former residence of Littleton Dennis Teackle and Elizabeth Upshur Teackle.
The house exceeded, in many ways, most private residences of its day; only the wealthiest Eastern Shore gentry of the early nineteenth century could afford to build on such a scale. The Teackles lovingly called the property "Teackletonia."
Construction began in the spring of 1802 and continued over a 17-year period. The five part home was finally finished in 1819. The Neo-Classical-inspired center section of the dwelling sits on an elevated foundation and showcases an intricately detailed front with a strictly symmetrical, temple-form facade. Decorative molded plaster tablets and carefully executed, hand-carved woodwork enhance the Flemish bond exterior. The symmetry of the exterior continues in the interior, most noticeably in the entrance hall and formal drawing room, with mirrored false windows and matching non-functioning doors for appearance only.
A large master chamber suite includes individual dressing rooms on either side of a marble bath intended for full body bathing, a rare luxury relatively unknown in earth 19th century America.
original location on Mansion Street, Princess Anne MD
photo: By Leonard J. DeFrancisci, CC BY-SA 3.0,