In 2019 the citizens of Fairmount, Maryland reawakened to a rich piece of heritage in its midst. A group of about 20 local and prior residents has formed the Fairmount Academy Association and is determined to restore the Academy buildings and annual heritage fair to their central place in community life. An antique classroom and an extensive museum will be re-opened to the public.
The Academy Grove Historic District is a national historic district at Upper Fairmount, Somerset County, Maryland. It comprises two Italianate-influenced frame buildings. These include the Fairmount Academy, constructed between 1860 and 1867 to serve as a public school for the Potato Neck District, and the Knights of Pythias Hall, erected adjacent to the Academy about 1872 by the Fairmount Lodge No. 77 of the Knights of Pythias.
Notable features of both buildings include bracketed cornices and paneled corner pilasters. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.